The government faced tough questions for the third day in a row as the Supreme Court scanned the system to appoint Election Commissioners and the Chief Election Commissioner.
Here are the Supreme Court’s top 5 remarks
- “The file was put up on November 18; moves the same day. Even PM recommends the name on the same day. We don’t want any confrontation, but was this done in any haste? What’s the tearing hurry?”
- “This vacancy [became] available on May 15. Show us from May to November, what prevailed upon the government to do things superfast?”
- “We are being blunt. If all these four names are carefully chosen, as ‘yes men’ – we are concerned with the process of selection.”
- “Was there any criteria for the Law Minister to pick those 4 names?”
- “Now, if you are hell-bent that no one who will get a full term gets appointed, then you are against the statute.”